As soon as we have a "for sure' name, I'll fill you in.
He was born at 5 lbs, 13,3 oz, on June 14, 2008. He's 19.25 inches long. ....long and skinny. Just like his daddy. What a precious bundle. He had a hard time making it into this world.
His mommy's water burst at about 12:40 a.m. on June 14. She went to the hospital as a safety measure so the umbilical cord didn't start protruding and causing serious problems. As Grandma was already beginning to sleep (and they told her she had a very long time to worry about the labor, she continued to nap as Grandad went to the hospital. He stayed until about 3:00 a.m. with no labor in sight. He came home. He called back at 7:00 a.m. to fi,nd out she'd been having erratic labor all night, but nothing in any sort of "pattern" yet. Grandma called at 10:00 a.m. to find out she was finally in labor, even though it was still erratic.
We went to the hospital only to see her labor diminish. It almost went away for awhile. Then it came back in full force. She was in a lot of pain and not handling stage one labor very well. ...at all. Considering it was still only stage one labor and having all this pain and trouble, she FINALLY opted for some mild meds. (She was disappointed as she'd wanted to have a "natural" birth. Don't we all?) But I dare not take away from her experience. She did a great job with what she was dealt. She was at 5 centimeters for hours. ...hours. She finally agreed to an epidural. ...then potosin. She went from 5 cm to 6 to 8.5 to 9.5 to 10 cm within a couple hours on the meds. She felt no pain. I could see all the contractions on the machine, but no pain for her. She felt pressure, but no pain.
Finally they decided to let her push. After an hour or so of this, and all of us in the waiting room, we became a bit concerned. It shouldn't take so long. Two hours later, son walked into the waiting room, face in hands and crying. We were all shocked. We feared she'd lost the baby. We were all devastated for a moment or two until he told us the story. He stood there and watched this baby nearly crown. He saw a very small patch of his head. All at once, her heartrate went up. Baby's heart rate went through the roof! They couldn't bring either down -- even with medication. They decided at the last minute that they couldn't even wait for him to be born. The situation was such that both could be in danger. ...especially the baby. The couldn't even wait for him to continue down the birth canal. ...as close as he was. They had to stop and do an emergency c-section. After hours of laboring and a couple more hours of pushing, it meant not much. He had to be taken from her. So when son came into the waitng room to tell us this, he was a basket case. He was worried. We managed to calm him and convince him of the importance of his job. He managed to make it through the c-section and bring the baby to us to view. We were worried that he (being nearly two weeks overdue) was so huge that he caused problems for his mommy. (Even the docs believed his was 7-8 pounds or more.) So we were all a bit surprised when he was finally born at 5 lbs 13.3 oz.
He's so tiny. He's perfect and beautiful and healthy, though, so who cares what he weighs?!!
Mom is slowly getting over the surgery. It will take awhile. But she's persistent and strong. We all try to help.
As it turned out, though, his umbilical cord was wrapped around his tiny little neck twice. Had they continued with "natural" childbirth, he may have not made it into this world. Thank God he was watching over him and that he made it through....
So off we go to the pics!!!
This is a few pics from first the labor and his first 24 hours.
What a beautiful precious baby he is....
6 comments:
Aww. So cute. I'm so glad everything turned out okay. :)
OMG - I just completely started to bawl my eyes out reading this! I'm so glad all turned out well in the end. What a beautiful baby!!
Seeing RJ holding his son brings back so many memories of a very tired and scared 21yr old me when I held my now 15 yr old daughter in my arms for the first time. To RJ: Your life is changing. Depend on your father to help you along. Depend on your mother to show you love. Trust in God that he will watch over you...
To my great friends: Rob, I know you will lead him down the right path. Tammy, Your kindness and caring will truly help your son know love and devotion. You both are the best friends I could ever ask for in life. I know RJ and your new grandson are in the very best hands. Congrats...
He is adorable! I am glad that he made it safely into this world!
God was definately there in that room!I am glad to hear thwee one is alright and that RJ gets to bring home a healthy lil boy and I love the name Evan James (EJ)...You enjoy Grammyhood!
Oh Tammy, good thing I had on waterproof mascara as I read and looked at the pictures!
*sniff!*
What a lovely little guy he is! And what an incredible grandmom you have already proven to be!
Post a Comment